Assistant Professor of Computer Science on the Gordon McKay Endowment
NOTE: I have moved overseas and am now at the University of Athens in Greece.
You may find my current website here.
I was a faculty member at Harvard
University in the School of Engineering and
Applied Sciences where I headed the Harvard Peer-to-Peer Systems Group. Before joining Harvard, I
completed my PhD in Computer
Science and was a Postdoctoral Fellow in the MosquitoNet Group at Stanford University. My interests
are in the areas of distributed systems, networking, mobile
computing, and digital preservation. Before Stanford, I attended the University of Maryland, College
Park where I received my B.S. degree in Computer Science.
I am a recipient of the CAREER award from the National Science Foundation.
|| Maxwell Dworkin 227
|| 33 Oxford Street, Room 227
Cambridge, MA 02138
|| (617) 496-8269
|| mema at eecs.harvard.edu
- LOCKSS (Lots of Copies,
Keep Stuff Safe) : A robust peer-to-peer system for permanent web
A data collection network for scalable sensor applications.
- PAN: A peer-to-peer overlay for sharing network perspectives.
- CUP: A protocol for Controlled Update Propagation in peer-to-peer
- The Mobile People Architecture: The goal of this project is to
make it possible to reach mobile people anytime, anywhere, on any
communication device, while maintaining their privacy.
- Secure Public Internet Access Handler (SPINACH): The goal of this
project is to enable secure network access through public ports in
common spaces such as lounges, conference rooms, and lecture halls.
- Mobility Measurement: The goal of this project is to trace mobile
host activity on both local-area networks and metropolitan-area
networks to analyze and understand mobility and network usage
CS 164: Internet Technologies
CSCI E-138: Internet Technologies
CS 264: Peer-to-Peer Systems
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I have the privilege of collaborating with some excellent people
here at Harvard:
- Nikos Laoutaris, Postdoctoral Fellow.
- Prashanth Bungale, PhD student.
- Geoffrey Goodell, PhD student.
- Rachel Greenstadt, PhD student.
- Ian Becker, Master's student.
- Nathan Blecharczyk, undergraduate student.
- Christopher Bockman, undergraduate student.
- David Hammer, undergraduate student.
- Charles Duan, senior thesis student.
- Bryan Parno, senior thesis student.
Recent Professional Activities
- Program Committee Member for SOSP 2007.
- Program Committee Member for ICDCS 2007.
- Program Committee Member for OSDI 2006.
- Program Committee Member for IPTPS 2006.
- Program Committee Member for ICDCS 2006.
- Program Committee Member for SIGMETRICS/Performance 2006.
- Program Committee Member for DMSN 2005, Second International VLDB Workshop on Data Management for Sensor
- Program Committee Member for NetDB: Networking Meets Databases, 2005.
- Program Committee Member for the International Conference
on Mobile Data Management (MDM), 2005.
- Program Committee Member for Usenix Annual Technical Conference, 2005.
- Program Committee Member, DMSN 2004, Workshop on Data
Management for Sensor Networks.
- Program Committee Member, DIAL M-POMC 2004, Joint Workshop on
Foundations of Mobile Computing.
- Program Committee Member, Workshop on Economics
of Peer-to-Peer Systems 2004.
- Program Committee Member, ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce