AMORETTI, SONNET #75
By Edmund Spenser
- One day I wrote her name upon the strand,
- But came the waves and washed it away:
- Again I write it with a second hand,
- But came the tide, and made my pains his prey.
- Vain man, said she, that doest in vain assay,
- A mortal thing so to immortalize,
- For I myself shall like to this decay,
- And eek my name be wiped out likewise.
- Not so, (quod I) let baser things devise
- To die in dust, but you shall live by fame:
- My verse, your virtues rare shall eternize,
- And in the heavens write your glorious name.
- Where whenas death shall all the world subdue,
- Our love shall live, and later life renew.
Keith's poetry archive.
Keith's favorite poems.